[time-nuts] Ublox F9P multi-band GPS receiver

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Tue Jan 22 15:30:00 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 2019-01-22 14:10, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> The one thing which is missing is a external frequency input. You can
>> get a frequency output in its place, but it does not fully replace the
>> input. That's where the module vs. chip comes in.
> Consider talking to sparkfun about how they should do the next version ?

Well, the actual ZED-F9P module does not have it as far as I can see
from the uBLOX datasheets. The module has a TCXO next to the actual F9
chip inside the module, so the issue really needs to ripple back to uBLOX.

Let me be fair about this, for most uses the ZED-F9P module is just fine
as it is. It's in fact a wonderful module if it delivers everything
promised. However, for some more unusual uses we really like to input a
reference frequency that we steer from a good TCXO, OCXO or Rubidium.
This will have uses in the time-and-frequency community but also for
some reference base-stations.

As always, as a hobbyist you want to get everything for essentially
free. The existing module will deliver so many of the previously premium
functions that used to cost several thousand dollars in OEM price, but
for a much lower price, we talk about dropping a zero and maybe divide
by 2 or so.

So, I think SparkFun is kind of limited in what they can do with the
module. I would not hesitate to solder in on that board if that was what
was needed for my hobbyist needs. I've done stuff like that before, and
will for sure do it again. It's uBLOX we need to talk to for this
feature request.

Cheers,
Magnus