[time-nuts] Good clean-up oscillators

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 23:22:19 UTC 2019

I'm using a Wenzel Phase Lock Oscillator as a "clean up" oscillator for my
Bodnar GPSDO. I lack the capability to measure if it really can do as they
advertise, but the 1 kHz away phase noise is claimed to be in the -170
dBc/Hz range. The ADC noise floor keeps me from measuring anywhere near
that low. The loops are in the .1 - 10Hz range, depending on which one you
get. I bought one that was made for telcom with proprietary input and
output frequencies that just happened to meet my needs. There was no
official documentation but Wenzel did send me documentation for the
standard one it was similar to. The one I got was a little strange,
unlocked it was way off frequency and it would only lock if it started well
above the desired input frequency. If you adjusted the free running
frequency to be close to ideal, it would not lock reliably. I have no idea
if that was the intended functionality, but since it did lock up fine if it
starts a kHz or so off, I decided to use it. To figure out the input
frequency, I had to slowly sweep a signal generator while measuring the
output and see when it locked.

I wish I had access to a correlating phase noise measurement system, but no
longer do. The phase noise measurement I can do with this system close in
matches very well with what I got when I did have access and measured some
TCXOs.

Regards,

Mark