[time-nuts] Good clean-up oscillators

Mark Goldberg marklgoldberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 06:58:25 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:00 PM Richard (Rick) Karlquist <
richard at karlquist.com> wrote:

> The 10811 brings out oven and oscillator power separately.  However,
> if you don't power up the oven, the crystal will be way off frequency
> so your idea is a non-starter.

Not to go too far off topic, but the Wenzel PLO I am using for a clean up
oscillator does have the oven running, is way off frequency when free
running, but locks up perfectly. Why would they design it that way,
including an oven if it is so far off frequency? It is quite voltage
sensitive also. Basically, with no input to lock to, it is all over the
map, thousands of Hz off. Could it be broken, but working in a fashion so
it is still usable?

I've asked some of these questions here before but maybe there are
different people looking at this now.

I have some big pictures of the insides here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1crnGazOXbJL6aonn1xP7kCKBSuhNCmAm

The two 30+ meg .pngs are composites of all the jpegs.

Regards,

Mark