[time-nuts] Ublox F9P multi-band GPS receiver

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jan 25 13:28:49 UTC 2019

Hi

In every other generation of uBlox parts, the “high end” modules (in this case the P and the T) pretty much did the same
thing with only minor differences. You do need precise position to get precise time. You also need precise time to get precise
position. That’s just the way GPS works and always has worked.

What gets us wrapped up are a bunch of specs that really are not very well qualified. Just what they mean be this or that
is rarely clear. Is a timing accuracy tracing it all the way back to BIH in Paris? Is a location accuracy doing the same sort
of thing? Even when they try to quantify a spec, that footnote may or may not be completely correct. A lot of these docs
still talk about the M8 parts when you drill down into them.

The only way to really know is to try some parts and see. That’s the way it’s always been with these modules from pretty
much all the vendors.

Bob