[time-nuts] Frequency standard

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 26 06:06:43 UTC 2019

 Paul, thanks for your reply.
You ask what I want to accomplish.  Basically I just want to be able to calibrate the OCXO in my counter.  I don't get a good enough signal from WWV and don't really have a proper method for adjustment.
I listen to the highest froquency WWV I can hear, and these days it's probably only 10 MHz.  I listen on a communications receiver to my counter and to WWV beating.  As I watch the S meter, the pulsing gets slower and slower as I zero in, and at some point the pulsing is lost because the atmospheric fading masks it.  That's usually around one fade every couple of seconds, for an accuracy of only about 1 part in 20 million.  I want it somewhat better, but no way do I need it 100 times better.  If I could set it within 0.1 Hz that would be fine - it would enable frequency measurement at 100 MHz with pretty good confidence, less so at 500 MHz.  I used to be able to hear 20 and 25 MHz from WWV but those days are gone.  Even then, the confidence level is a bit poorer than I'd like.
So maybe a GPSDO would help but it seems the cost is out of proportion to my needs.
Bob