[time-nuts] Frequency standard

John Ackermann. N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Jan 26 13:00:45 UTC 2019

Hi Bob --

A GPSDO can replace the OCXO in your counter, and that's now most folks would use it.

If you just want to calibrate the OCXO, you don't need a GPSDO -- you can do that with just a GPS that has a pulse-per-second output, and a scope.

Use the GPS PPS to trigger the scope and adjust the OCXO for a stationary display of the OCXO waveform.  It's easiest if you use a PPS derived from the OCXO (there are inexpensive dividers that will do that) but you can also do it by looking at the 10 MHz directly -- adjust until the zero-crossing point of the sine wave stays put; when you're more than 1 Hz off you'll need a bit of guesswork, but once you get within 1 Hz you'll be looking at the same cycle position each second.  If it takes 10 seconds to drift one cycle on the display, you're 0.1 Hz off.

John