[time-nuts] Ublox F9P multi-band GPS receiver

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat Jan 26 23:07:15 UTC 2019

Hi

It’s only a two band device for each system as far as I can see. Even if you *could* do both GPS L2 and GPS L5,
you would have to pick one or the other. Like a lot of this that’s about as clear as mud …. Right now the number
of sat’s doing this and that makes the choice of L2 pretty easy to make. In a few years if / when / maybe / who knows/
we have newer sats up there, that might change. As noted in other posts, you can’t really fault them for saving money by
keeping the old hardware up and running.

Mine is siting here putting out a nice plot of quantization error. Based on a few minutes of data it looks a
lot like other GPS modules. It is a sort of uniform-ish looking distribution over -4 ns to about 3.9ns. Resolution
as reported is 1 ps.

I will let others chime in on the dangers of “assuming” statistics apply to non-gaussian data. However the
calculated one sigma from the graph’s built in calculator is at ~2.2 ns. All of that would match up pretty well
if the “jitter” specs are on an un-corrected pps output.

Since it looks like a “normal module” it should average down (or not) pretty much the same way as other modules do
(or don’t).

So far the survey in mode is not behaving well. That may be a bug or it may be operator error. Page 95 in the F9P integration
manual shows it being used. One would *guess* that it’s operator error …. I’ll keep trying things.

The manual also shows time measurement on the ext int inputs. I probably should check that out as well. As mentioned in another
post, that input may not have quite all the bells and whistles on it.

Quick summary - about what I expected, some stuff works, some stuff is unclear. Every so often uCenter decides to go away
when this or that button is pushed ( … so don’t keep pushing that button again and again …..).

Bob