[time-nuts] Rooftop antenna and splitter

Denny Page denny at cococafe.com
Sun Jan 27 04:10:35 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I’m looking for recommendations on an antenna / splitter configuration. I currently have six GPS/GLONASS/Galileo timing devices, each with it’s own puck antenna in a window. I have an opportunity to move to a (single) roof top antenna, with a splitter to feed the individual devices, and I am looking for recommendations on which antenna and splitter people would recommend.

So far, I am looking at the following antennas:

 PCTEL GNSS1-TMG-26N (https://www.pctel.com/antenna-product/global-gnss-timing-reference-antenna-gnss1-tmg-26n/)

 PCTEL GNSS1-TMG-40N (https://www.pctel.com/antenna-product/global-gnss-timing-antenna-gnss1-tmg-40n/)

And the following splitters:

 GPS Networking ALDCBS1x8 (https://www.gpsnetworking.com/products/aldcbs1x8)

 GPS Source S18 (https://www.gpssource.com/collections/gps-splitter/products/s18-1x8-standard-gps-splitter)

The run from the antenna to the splitter will be 30-35 feet, and from the splitter to the units will be 3-5 feet. I’m wondering about the need for the 40dB vs the 26dB. I haven’t looked at any passive splitters, but even with the 40dB I’m thinking won’t offer enough to support even a 1x6 splitter.

I would appreciate any thoughts folk have to offer.

Thanks,
Denny