[time-nuts] Rooftop antenna and splitter

Chris Burford cburford1 at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 27 09:21:21 UTC 2019

For a 30-35 outdoor cable run go with as big a coax as you can afford. At these frequencies attenuation becomes even more critical than say an HF application. There are several online attenuation calculators for various cable configurations that you might want to play around with:

https://www.timesmicrowave.com/

https://www.pasternack.com/t-rf-microwave-calculators-and-conversions.aspx

Chris

---- Denny Page via time-nuts <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

I’m looking for recommendations on an antenna / splitter configuration. I currently have six GPS/GLONASS/Galileo timing devices, each with it’s own puck antenna in a window. I have an opportunity to move to a (single) roof top antenna, with a splitter to feed the individual devices, and I am looking for recommendations on which antenna and splitter people would recommend.

So far, I am looking at the following antennas:

 PCTEL GNSS1-TMG-26N (https://www.pctel.com/antenna-product/global-gnss-timing-reference-antenna-gnss1-tmg-26n/)

 PCTEL GNSS1-TMG-40N (https://www.pctel.com/antenna-product/global-gnss-timing-antenna-gnss1-tmg-40n/)

And the following splitters:

 GPS Networking ALDCBS1x8 (https://www.gpsnetworking.com/products/aldcbs1x8)

 GPS Source S18 (https://www.gpssource.com/collections/gps-splitter/products/s18-1x8-standard-gps-splitter)

The run from the antenna to the splitter will be 30-35 feet, and from the splitter to the units will be 3-5 feet. I’m wondering about the need for the 40dB vs the 26dB. I haven’t looked at any passive splitters, but even with the 40dB I’m thinking won’t offer enough to support even a 1x6 splitter.

I would appreciate any thoughts folk have to offer.

Thanks,
Denny