[time-nuts] PPS clock module

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 22:18:46 UTC 2019

Some of the 1970's era National Semiconductor clock modules and chips, you
could leave the 50/60Hz input unused and instead jam a PPS pulse into the
"colon blink" pin.

There were some commercial time display products into the 1990's that used
this and other NatSemi clock tricks. For example where I work we had
hundreds of public facing clocks that would jam-load 24 hour midnight
resets in for synchronization. 10 seconds before midnight we would jam load
midnight and hold it until midnight actually ticked over. On DST changes we
had to sync up to the next mornings time not the current time and once we
made the newspaper for accidentally closing an hour early that night :-)

Today - get an Arduino Nano clone ($3) and a 6-digit-7-segment module or
dot matrix module ($10).

Tim N3QE