[time-nuts] HP Stories: A Service Engineering perspective of the 5061A/B, and the incomparable Chuck Little

Bob Albert bob91343 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 18:57:10 UTC 2019

 I read that technical description from the 1970s of how a cesium standard works, with the 137 Hz modulation and all.  Fascinating.  Maybe I will try to build one.  How hard can it be?  Maybe someone should offer a kit.
Those guys at HP were amazing.  Not so much that it's a complicated scheme, but that it actually worked, and was made into a commercial product.  They threw around synthesizers as if they were capacitors, making any frequency out of any other frequency with apparent ease.
They don't teach that in engineering school.
Bob