[time-nuts] HP Stories: A Service Engineering perspective of the 5061A/B, and the incomparable Chuck Little

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Mon Jan 28 18:58:34 UTC 2019

Hugh knew Chuck a lot better than I did because he actually worked
with him.  However, Hugh confirmed my opinion of Chuck 100% based
on my many casual interactions with him.  First of all, Chuck started
in 1956, and already had 23 years in when I started in 1979. It is
an extremely bad idea to think you know more about company stuff
than a 23 year veteran.  I never actually asked about whether Chuck even
had an engineering degree.  Maybe Hugh knows.  But it didn't matter.
Like Hugh said, he could absolutely devastate know-it-all theory only
engineers.  I've known non-degreed engineers who
could also do that.  I suspect he related well to the NCO types in the
audience who had to dress down freshly minted 2nd lieutenants who knew
everything.  Like Hugh said, he was very entertaining and cheerful.
AFAIK, Chuck and Len Cutler coexisted very well.  Each was very good at
his job, and their skill sets were complementary.  Len was fairly
practical in his own way for a PhD.

Rick