[time-nuts] Rooftop antenna and splitter

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Jan 29 22:11:18 UTC 2019

Hi

Often the “puck” that comes with a demo board is set up to only work when
directly connected to the board. No long cable runs, no splitters, no lightning protection
to all add a bit of loss here and there. It also is a good bet that whatever is supplied
“free” with the demo board came from the low bidder.

About all we have to go by is a line in the spec that talks about 40 db max and 30 db
typical as being the “recommended” gain characteristics. The more common numbers
would be 20 db typical and 30 db max for sort of telecom devices we all are used to working with.

The lack of a “minimum” spec generally is because the problem is actually far more complex
that a simple gain number. Things like antenna element gain matter. Gain delta between
overhead and horizon matters. LNA noise figure matters. Since these are multi band
devices, gain delta between bands matters.

All of that assumes the antenna is sitting on a pole with a perfect view of the sky in all
directions. Does this gizmo get used under tree cover? Do birds land on it? Does snow
and ice pile up on it? How well should it work in those conditions? ( Looking out at the
multiband antennas here with ice and snow rapidly piling up on them yet again …..)

All I’m suggesting is that if you have a choice between antennas up around 40 db and
ones down below 30 db …. the higher gain is a lot more likely to do the job. Since you
can get the higher gain devices for not much money, there’s not much downside.

Bob