[time-nuts] GNSS Antennas (was: Rooftop antenna and splitter)

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Jan 31 13:51:46 UTC 2019

Hi

If you take a hammer to one of these antennas, they seem to mostly play games
with transmission lines on pc boards. The number of components involved is pretty
small.

If hammering one apart does not sound like a great thing to do, there are pictures
here and there. I have yet to see a picture that shows enough to actually make sense
out of. I’d bet that is intentional.

Looking at network analyzer sweeps, it becomes pretty apparent that whatever
combination of things are involved, they only work inside each of the target sub-bands.
Once you get to the edge, it all falls apart. It comes back together once you get to
the edge of the next sub-band. Some of that is intentional filtering so sorting it out
that way … not so much.

Bob