[time-nuts] GNSS Antennas

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 31 19:56:28 UTC 2019

On 1/31/19 9:41 AM, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 20:33:23 -0800
> Peter Monta <pmonta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mini-Circuits has such a 4-port phase splitter, part number SCQ-4-1650+.
>> It's $25, which is not super cheap, but it's unclear one could implement
>> such a network with a planar circuit for less, and the planar circuit would
>> be more bulky.
>
> That one looks interesting indeed. Especially as the datasheet mentiones
> quadrifilar. Now I wonder whether that means the internal structure is
> a quadirfilar transformer or it is meant for quadiriflar antennas.
> While the latter would be a weird way to describe it, the former sounds
> more plausible. But then, I have no idea how one could use a quadrifilar
> transformer for a polyphase splitter. Does someone have an idea?

More likely the outputs are 0,90,180,270.  Basically some stripline
couplers cleverly arranged.  A standard Lange coupler generates a 0 and
90, and you can probably arrange the input circuit to make the flipped
phase versions.

Doing it for wideband is the challenge.

https://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedias/lange-couplers