[time-nuts] Aerial coax downlead placement

W7SLS w7sls.scott at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 21:15:30 UTC 2019

Hi Peter,

>> you should
>
> never drop the coax down the middle of your support-pole, as the conducting
> pole will mess up the characteristics of the cable by affecting the
> currents in the outer braid.

Well, that is true for ’twin-lead’ (“TV antenna wire”), but is not an issue for coax.
(You _don’t_ want signals on the outside of the coax anyway :)

Depending on what meets your budget for time, $, esthetics, and specifics of that installation,
one or more of these might help:

	- attach the coax to the mast with tie-wraps (loosely, so as not to ‘pinch’ the coax)

	- as above, use “20 cm” of “14 AWG” insulated solid conductor instead of zip ties

	- electric tape is tempting, but will degrade (UV), and can cause the mast to rust

	- other ideas from group

Also, depending on how much lightning / storms you get locally, add suitable lightning arresting equipment

Good luck,

Scott
W7SLS