[time-nuts] The forbidden question

Kevin Birth Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu
Tue Jun 4 19:32:18 UTC 2019

When a clock is represented as only losing a second in billions of years
that is a statement packaged in a rhetorical fashion to impress readers.
Another way to think about the statement of such long-term accuracy is
that it is a improvement in reducing uncertainty about accuracy over time,
and that includes uncertainty in the short term at high levels of
precision.

Consider that the SI second is 9,192,631,770 transitions of cesium, but
that when the number of cesium transitions per second was originally
measured, there was a plus or minus of 20 transitions.  That means in
first generation cesium clocks there was a lurking uncertainty in accuracy
of at least plus or minus 20 not taking into account all the other factors
that can influence a clock¹s performance.  Now if a clock¹s time was
uncertain by just a few transitions, then that could produce a 1 second
loss of accuracy over billions of years.

So one way to look at the claim that a clock is accurate for billions of
years (although NIST-F2 is claimed for hundreds of millions of years) is
that it is a clock that has reduced the uncertainty in the short run,
making it not only precise, but accurate at high levels of precision over
short periods of time.

Now that we live in a world where big data analysis (including data feeds
on Wall St) have ns levels of precision, reducing uncertainty in accuracy
in primary standards is highly valued.

Or, at least that is how I understand things.

Best,

Kevin

--
Kevin K. Birth, Professor
Department of Anthropology

"Tempus est mundi instabilis motus, rerumque labentium cursus." --Hrabanus
Maurus

"We may live longer but we may be subject to peculiar contagion and
spiritual torpor or illiteracies of the imagination" --Wilson Harris