[time-nuts] The forbidden question

Joseph B. Fitzgerald jfitzgerald at alum.wpi.edu
Thu Jun 6 01:16:18 UTC 2019

Regarding Dana's remarks on VLBI, consider the recent black hole image released by the Event Horizon Telescope.    Measurements were taken at 230 GHz, and they would like to begin measurements at 345 GHz.    Hydrogen masers were used at each telescope.    I am no expert, but I strongly suspect that a better clock would result in longer/better observations.    The H maser only runs at 1.42 GHz ... the astrophysicist wizards are proposing to do their measurements at about 250 times higher in frequency!

-Joe