[time-nuts] Pioneering Deep-Space Atomic Clock Taking Flight This Month

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sat Jun 8 17:33:39 UTC 2019

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 17:14:01 -0700
jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 6/6/19 3:23 PM, Wayne Holder wrote:
> > Perhaps also of interest:
> > https://ws680.nist.gov/publication/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=105138
>
> yes, similar idea, but I'm pretty sure DSAC uses a cloud of ions, not a
> single one.

The working principle is different too. While the above paper
creates an optical frequency standard, the DSAC is an optically
pumped microwave standard, not unlike a Rubidium vapor clock,
just a lot more fancy.

For the working principle and performance data I recommend the
following papers (there are probably more out there, but these
are the ones I've read):

"A Compensated Multi-pole Linear Ion Trap Mercury Frequency Standard for
Ultra-Stable Timekeeping", by Burt, Diener, Tjoelker, 2008
https://doi.org/10.1109/TUFFC.2008.975

"Compact Microwave Mercury Ion Clock for Space Applications",
by Prestage, Tu, Chung, MacNeal, 2007
https://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/2007papers/paper25.pdf

"Hg ion atomic clock for deep space navigation and science",
by Prestage, Chung, Lim, Le, 2007
http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/12.734725

"Liter Sized Ion Clock with 10^-15 Stability",
by Prestage, Chung, Lim, Maleki, 2005
https://doi.org/10.1109/FREQ.2005.1573976

"Mercury Atomic Frequency Standards for Space Based Navigation
and Timekeepying", by Tjoelker, Burt, Chung, Hamell, Prestage, Tucker, 2011
https://tycho.usno.navy.mil/ptti/2011papers/Paper37.pdf

"Mercury Ion Clock for a NASA Technology Demonstration Mission",
by Tjoelker, Prestage, Burt, Chong, Chung, Diener, Ely, Enzer, Mojardi, Okino
Pauken, Robinson, Swenson, Tucker, Wang, 2016
https://doi.org/10.1109/TUFFC.2016.2543738

"Next Generation Space Atomic Clock Space Communications and Navigation
(SCaN) Technology", by Prestage, 2011
http://scpnt.stanford.edu/pnt/PNT11/2011_presentation_files/19_Prestage-PNT2011.pdf

				Attila Kinali

--
<JaberWorky>	The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
                throw DARK chocolate at you.