[time-nuts] GE ZigBee Clocks

fwbray at mminternet.com fwbray at mminternet.com
Sun Jun 9 06:37:06 UTC 2019

Has anyone hacked the large GE digital clocks that were designed to
connect to a master clock using ZigBee networking?

These are offered on eBay at varying prices, however the master clock is
no longer available or is quite expensive when it can be found.  There
also seems to be no technical data available on-line.

I have one that I run in stand-alone mode but I'd like to improve the
accuracy to avoid periodic resetting.  I suspect that because these
units are supposed to be regularly updated from the master clock that
their internal oscillator either wasn't tweaked at the factory or isn't
that stable to begin with.

I haven't yet opened it up to see whether adjustment of the internal
oscillator is possible.  Ideally, I'd like to add a more stable
timebase, tie it to a 10 MHz GPSDO or PPS source or figure out a way to
update it over ZigBee.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fred Bray