[time-nuts] generalization of three cornered hat

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sun Jun 16 11:01:45 UTC 2019

Jim,

With N oscillators involved: look for papers about clock ensembles and
time scale algorithms.

The 3 corner hat method, where you create a fictitious mean of 3 clocks
and then compute the deviation of each real clock from the virtual mean,
is just like a simple unweighted 3-clock time scale. And that can be
extended far beyond N=3. For example, think of how most national time
labs handle their many Cs clocks, or how UTC itself is computed.

Note that when you consider transitive measurement noise, you may find
that making N simultaneous measurements against a single independent LO
is simpler and better than making N(N-1)/2 measurements of all possible
clock pairs. Think of star vs. ring vs. mesh networks.

/tvb