[time-nuts] generalization of three cornered hat

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Mon Jun 17 04:03:20 UTC 2019

I apologize if the following isn't helpful.   I'm still getting my
head around all of the details of statistical analysis of clocks so
I'm not 100% sure this matches what you're asking for, but I figured
it might be helpful so...

A portion of the document at https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/1288.pdf
might be helpful. In Section XV on the page labeled 2588 and
subsequent pages it describes the AT1 algorithm which is used by NIST
to mathematically combine N clocks into a single Virtual Ensemble
clock using averaging and weighting of the clocks.   As a side effect
the algorithm provides a method to determine the quality of each clock
for the purpose of increasing or decreasing the weight each clock is
given when computing the Ensemble clock.  Not sure if this matches
your needs, but it seems like it might be close.

In searching for the above document I also found
http://www.nict.go.jp/publication/shuppan/kihou-journal/journal-vol50no1.2/0501.pdf
which contains summaries not only of AT1 but also other algorithms.

On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 5:08 PM jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I found a lot of references to estimating the uncertainties in
> measurements derived with three cornered hat.   What about for arbitrary
> N sources and N(N-1)/2 pair-wise measurements?  There must be some magic
> term to search for.

- Forrest