[time-nuts] Z3801A going into Holdover

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Fri Jun 21 18:02:06 UTC 2019

Dan,

I hate to speculate but it's really odd that more than one person is
reporting EFC issues with the Z3801A this week. I wonder if it's a bug
in the Motorola Oncore; the OEM GPS receiver used in the Z3801A (and
other early hp GPSDO). Two events have happened recently:

1) There was a GPS WNRO in April 2019, so Oncore dates will be wrong.
But, like the rollover in August 1999, this shouldn't cause a GPSDO to
go crazy.

2) More interesting, as of June 16, it's been 128 weeks since the
previous leap second. There were reports of some aircraft GPS receivers
losing lock from June 9 to June 16 due to an obscure bug in certain GPS
receivers. It's related to leap seconds and 8-bit week numbers (127 + 1
is -1 not 128).

In theory this shouldn't cause a GPSDO any trouble, but I know that a
vaguely similar 8-bit problem occurred with the Oncore VP back in 2003. See:

http://leapsecond.com/notes/leapsec256.htm

If anyone happens to have a binary log from an Oncore VP or UT for the
past week or two, please let me know.

Thanks,
/tvb