[time-nuts] Cloudflare

shouldbe q931 shouldbeq931 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 15:13:14 UTC 2019

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 6:00 AM Bob Bownes <bownes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most of the good data centers I’ve used either offer a connection to a
> stratum 1 server or are more than happy to put a antenna on the roof. Many
> offer microwave as a third redundant circuit path, which requires an
> antenna. All for a price, of course.
>
> When I worked for an ILEC, many moons ago, we had two and a half floors at
> 60 Hudson St. Our stratum 1 antenna was literally glued to a window. Next
> to a 10GHz dish. :)
>
> My hotel in Toronto two weeks ago overlooked a building that was clearly
> someone’s data center, based on the 6 generators, massive AC, numerous
> microwave links, and yes, GPS bullet antennas, covering the roof.
>
> Bob

Because of MIFID II etc. some datacenters are now providing traceable time
services
https://www.npl.co.uk/products-services/time-frequency/npltime/npl-ubs-whitepaper
(NPL is the UK equiv of NIST in the US)

As others have said, to get a cross connect is one thing, to get roof
access is another.

Cheers

Arne