[time-nuts] Cloudflare

Paul tic-toc at bodosom.net
Sat Jun 22 17:56:33 UTC 2019

[Sorry about going off-topic.  I'll stop now.]

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 3:42 AM Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> > 2) Anycast.
>
> What does anycast mean when DNS returns 2 IPv4 addresses?  Is the client
> expected to do anything other than use the first address returned?

No.  The name is a *server* target not a *pool* target.   Using more than
one address can result in a single source masquerading as multiple sources
which is not considered best practice when building an NTP network.

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 10:19 AM Bob kb8tq <kb8tq at n1k.org> wrote:

> One traditional answer is the “run to the window” approach.

Cloudflare says they have 11 offices in 6 countries.  They probably have
some (proxy) windows and I would expect excellent network access.