[time-nuts] Subject: Re: GPS 1PPS, phase lock vs frequency lock, design

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Jun 24 01:56:27 UTC 2019

Hi Dana,

Can you explain more what you use a GPSDO for? For most people a GPSDO
is merely a replacement for a stand-alone XO or TCXO or OCXO or even
rubidium. As such, the more stable and accurate the frequency the
better. Which is why a FLL-based GPSDO, as Leo describes, is a perfectly
fine solution.

 > My interest lies in having a stable LO for receiving, without
accumulating
 > phase error (at least during times of missing reference).

Ok, it sounds to me like you shouldn't be using a GPSDO at all. Instead
pick your best LO and use that for receiving (stable frequency). Then,
simultaneously, collect raw sawtooth-corrected GPS/1PPS data against the
LO (absolute phase). After you collect your data, apply any observed
phase drift to your frequency measurements via post-processing.

/tvb