[time-nuts] Subject: Re: GPS 1PPS, phase lock vs frequency lock, design

Leo Bodnar leo at leobodnar.com
Mon Jun 24 17:42:13 UTC 2019

Hi Dana,

I am just saying that, properly implemented, PLL and FLL are indistinguishable as long as output signal is concerned while lock is present and that the phase slew at regaining lock in PLL loop is counterproductive for one but necessary evil for others. I have a feeling that FLL is looked down upon by general public ever since PLL became a household term.

In a well designed  PID loop "I" term makes sure that you don't have "permanent but varying error."

All my messing about with loops, holdovers and recovery was pretty much with your application in mind.

Cheers!
Leo