[time-nuts] Subject: Re: GPS 1PPS, phase lock vs frequency lock, design

Glen English VK1XX glenlist at pacificmedia.com.au
Tue Jun 25 01:16:50 UTC 2019

Leo is right

Depends on the application. Phase lock for 1pps to trigger say,
simultaneous capture of many radio telescopes around the globe is a good
need for phase lock to a source. Frequency lock might suit many . change
of phase between two sources might indicate frequency change, or duty
cycle change.

For all my digital PLL and digital FLL implementations, the method of
capturing the data is identical... just the transfer function of the
filter is different. So they are nearly indistinguishable.

A choice might depend on the control loop bandwidth, and whether the
initial error (acquisition) is beyond the BW. In those cases depending
on the type of comparison, it might make sense  to measure the frequency
error, and then move the (controlled) source within phase lock without
cycle slip range in one step. Useful for very long time constants and
large initial errors.

...and then what do you do when including relativistic effects ...

glen.