[time-nuts] Subject: Re: GPS 1PPS, phase lock vs frequency lock, design

Glen English VK1XX glenlist at pacificmedia.com.au
Tue Jun 25 23:29:44 UTC 2019

Hi Bob

RRR.

In fact  all my original GPSDOs in the '90s were FLLs, for radio comms
gear, essentially frequency counters with the error driving a PI loop.
They were controlling standard XOs. For new engineers, if they want a
project to teach them many skills, I recommend a GPSDO project from
scratch, there are many excellent disclipines to grasp, oscillators,
control systems, measurement.... and  many systematic errors to
understand... and the project is only done if the spec is met, and of
course the spec can go on being as tight as you want. You could spend
your whole life on it.

glen