[time-nuts] Subject: Re: GPS 1PPS, phase lock vs frequency lock, design

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jun 26 11:52:38 UTC 2019

Hi

A lot of commercial designs run through multiple lock strategies as they warm up and
stabilize. What the ultimate lock approach is after they have messed around very much
depends on what the customer is looking for. There are indeed FLL GPSDO’s in some
very fancy systems.

PLL is the method of choice for cellular setups since time is normally the “tight spec” on
the list. Since probably 99.9% of all the surplus GPSDO’s came from scrapped cell sites,
it is a good bet that your eBay surplus GPSDO is indeed running a PLL. That by no means
makes it the only approach or best in all situations.

Bob