[time-nuts] Are there any company selling refurbished/reconditioned Cesium tubes?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Fri Jun 28 21:10:35 UTC 2019

Hi

You will see used tubes for sale from time to time. That’s about the only “cheap” way to
re-tube your dead Cs standard. It’s very much a gamble any time you buy one. There
is no guarantee you are getting anything better than what you already have.

There is nobody out there doing “real” rebuilding of Cs tubes. The market is too small and
the investment way too large. They are very complex gizmos. Once they get to end of life they
are pretty much entirely polluted with Cs all over everything. Cleaning, re-aligning, re-filling, and
sealing up one would not be easy.

Since the “entire world” of US Cs manufacturing has imploded into a single plant, it would also
seem that there really isn’t a very big market for new Cs standards either ….. If there is somebody
else out there making a whole bunch of them, they are hiding it pretty well.

Bob