[time-nuts] Rubidium Cells for Sale ?!

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue May 7 01:58:25 UTC 2019

On 5/6/19 5:34 PM, William H. Fite wrote:
> I suppose that shouldn't surprise me but, since I have neither ITAR
> credentials nor a metric shit load of money, it's a good thing that I don't
> want one.
Category XV— Spacecraft and Related Articles

(e) Spacecraft parts, components, accessories, attachments, equipment,
or systems, as follows:
(9) Space-qualified cesium, rubidium, hydrogen maser, or quantum (e.g.,
based upon Al, Hg, Yb, Sr, Be Ions) atomic clocks, and specially
designed parts and components therefor;

But, there is an exception.. if you could get one with having been fully
tested:
Note 4 to paragraph (e): (1) A determination that a specific article (or
commodity) (e.g., by product serial number) is space-qualified by virtue
of testing alone does not mean that other articles in the same
production run or model series are space-qualified if not individually
tested. (2) “Article” is synonymous with “commodity,” as defined in EAR
§772.1. (3) A specific article not designed or manufactured for use at
altitudes greater than 100 km above the surface of the Earth is not
space-qualified before it is successfully tested. (4) The terms
“designed” and “manufactured” in this definition are synonymous with
“specially designed.”