[time-nuts] GPS 1PPS, phase lock vs frequency lock, design

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sat May 25 12:00:01 UTC 2019

Hi

Ok basic GPSDO. You need:

1) The GPS PPS, and it’s correction data
2) The OCXO
3) Something to drive the tuning voltage input to the OCXO
4) A way to compare the GPS PPS to the OCXO (usually to a PPS off of the OCXO)
5) Some sort of digital processing to implement the control loop.

You have 1 and 2. A quiet reference plus a DAC is the common way to do 3. There are lots
of ways to do 4. With modern GPS modules, you would like a resolution < 100 ps. Just about
anything you can program in C or assembler will work for 5.

So, can you implement a sigma delta DAC in an FPGA? Sure you can. Will it be quiet enough
all by it’s self …. hmmm…. The comparison circuit done all in the FPGA is also very doable. There
are a lot of “synthetic” processors you can drop into one. There also are FPGA chips with ARM cores
built into them.

Bottom line - yes, you *can* do it in an FPGA. That’s not to say it would be the best way to do it.

Bob