[time-nuts] Talking Clock

vilgotch1 at gmail.com vilgotch1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 04:49:40 UTC 2019

The electro-mechanical-optical clock was made obsolete years ago and the
voice is now generated electronically. I think the reason it's being closed
down is that the PSTN is digital and so delays are unpredictable leading to
possible errors in the time. According to a news item I saw the company that
runs the clock and supplies the audio wants to keep it going but the
national network supplier (Telstra) is determined to close it down because
of "network incompatibility".

I made a talking clock with that format a few years ago. It is based on an
AVR processor that uses the mains frequency as a reference. The voice is
generated by an ancient speech synthesizer chip that sounds like Stephen
Hawking and the time is simultaneously displayed on a VFD. A PIR detector
switches off the outputs when there's no human around. It can be seen at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmg0YsHlB3g&t=3s

It wouldn't be hard to use the same platform to translate the time from a
GPS receiver into the spoken and visual word.

Morris