[time-nuts] Thunderbolt frequency error when locked

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Oct 2 23:15:57 UTC 2019

Hi

Well, you need to leave a lot out to keep it brief.

The answer is “somewhere in the 1x10^-10 to 1x10^-11 range. As long as you
are not stating a tau or a confidence factor, any number in that range could be
right.

=====

Based on having done this a lot of times there are a couple of ways to present the
numbers.

1) Fractions of a hertz. Since you get into mili and micro pretty fast, along with a bunch
of decimals this can indeed loose people pretty fast. If the environment is one where
multiple frequencies will be used / considered / discussed, fractions of a hertz gets
a bit crazy.

2) Scientific notation. Obviously, this is a common choice. Since the exponent is ever
changing it also can tangle people up,

3) Engineering notation. *IF* everything can be kept in one magic range, this usually
works best. Talking about 100 ppt and 0.1 ppt ( or ppb or ppm) seems to get the point
across without generating an enormous disconnect. You have one discussion about
what a ppt is and then move on.

…. back to gazing out over lovely Loveland CO.

Bob