[time-nuts] can of worms: time-of-day in a community radio station

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 20:11:56 UTC 2019

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 3:00 PM Eric Scace <eric at scace.org> wrote:

> Are there other approaches that should be considered?
> What NTP software should be used on Windows OS machines? Linux servers?

Meinberg's port of ntp.org's NTP source on the Windows systems.  Same
(obviously not for Windows) is already on a Linux system.

> Mac OS allows one choice of NTP server but does not seem to provide for choice of NTP update frequency. Is there a 3rd party software solution, or some other parameter within MacOS that an admin can change to (a) establish a primary and secondary NTP server, and (b) set the frequency of NTP updates?

ISTR that MacOS' most recent iteration of NTP has quirks but I don't
know what they are.  Previously, it was just a straight NTP client ...
and NTP clients manage their update frequency dynamically based on
network latency - no good reason I know of to not let it just work.
If network connectivity is bad, the interval drops (minimum 2^6 s) if
the connectivity is good, it increases (max 2^10 s).  Those end points
can probably be fiddled with in source if not in the config but again,
why?