[time-nuts] can of worms: time-of-day in a community radio station

Fiorenzo Cattaneo fio at cattaneo.us
Sat Oct 19 08:26:48 UTC 2019

Hi David, I don't particularly trust NTP servers from pool.ntp.org (I
assume that is what you mean by "pool"), and I use public stratum-1
servers chosen from a public list. Of course I make sure that my usage
complies with the policies and terms of use for each server (some
allow regional use only, some say do avoid using iburst keyword, some
require prior permission and/or notification).
I have found that using 3 to 5 public stratum-1 servers works very
well, and gives a time synchronization which is within 3 to 5
milliseconds when compared with a reference timing board with GPSDO.
This time offset discrepancy is actually due to the fact that my ISP
(comcast cable) has asymmetric send/receive delays. It disappears when
I tried this setup at my office, which has symmetrical fiber optic
connection to internet.

Your point about avoiding having all the internal machine hit
stratum-1 servers is a good one however. To avoid that in my setup I
designate 3 machines which serve as an internal stratum-2 pool for
internal distribution. Each of them has 3 to 5 external NTP stratum-1
servers and they all peer with each other. Then every other internal
machine uses these 3 machines. I have more details on my setup in my
reply to Eric.

Kind regards,

-- Fio Cattaneo

Universal AC, can Entropy be reversed? -- "THERE IS AS YET
INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER."