[time-nuts] Flash!!! FA2 works on Aderino Tablets !!!

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 23:51:52 UTC 2019

To be more specific, the app is a serial data logger which can collect and
save ASCII data, not specifically for the FA2 (I tried it with a GPS
receiver collecting NMEA).
It works with  a USB-Serial chip like the FTDI, Prolific, Silabs, it may
even work with the CH340, via the USB connector of an Android phone or
tablet.
At the moment, there are 3 programmable Baud rates, 4800, 9600 and 115200.
Of course, more can be added if useful. If the other end of the USB
converter is directly accessed (like I believe the FA2), the Baud rate
actually does not matter since the data goes at USB speed, the Baud Rate
setting is only necessary is you have a USB-Serial converter chip with an
actual UART serial bus at the other end.
For now, it only supports ASCII data with \r\n termination but that also
could be made programmable.

The idea is to use a cheap tablet to collect data instead of a laptop or
PC. While I have been known to be thrifty and I actually did try a couple
of extremely cheap Android tablets under $30, my favorite low end device at
the moment is the Fire 7" which you can have for about $50 any time. It
runs the app just fine.

If there is interest, I'll put it in the Play Store. For now, you are
welcome to download it, it's free (and free from ads too).
http://www.ko4bb.com/Android/USBLogger.apk
<http://www.ko4bb.com/Android/USBLogger_v002.apk>

Didier KO4BB