[time-nuts] can of worms: time-of-day in a community radio station

Fiorenzo Cattaneo fio at cattaneo.us
Sun Oct 20 01:24:57 UTC 2019

Hello David,

>>> I'm surprised you don't trust "pool" servers.  My experience is that using
>>> the pool directive, and allowing NTP to expand its server list automatically
>>> to the maximum number of servers, gives good results usually with one of two
>>> servers at least being stratum-1 GPS-locked.

The main reason I do not trust "pool" servers is because there is no
guarantee of which server you will get. I might be paranoid, but I am
worried about rogue servers, and I much rather trust well known public
stratum-1 NTP servers. So mainly a matter of trust. As far as their
quality, I've actually never really seen public stratum-1 servers
being overloaded. A good number of them are actually a group of
servers and clients round-robin among all of them. For instance if I
lookup the DNS records of the stratum-1 NTP severe closer to me
(University of Washington, Seattle), I see it is actually 3 servers:

fcattane at linux-mint-64:~$ dig bigben.cac.washington.edu
;; ANSWER SECTION:
bigben.cac.washington.edu. 5 IN CNAME time.u.washington.edu.
time.u.washington.edu. 4 IN A 140.142.234.133
time.u.washington.edu. 4 IN A 140.142.1.8
time.u.washington.edu. 4 IN A 140.142.2.8

>>> If you have a PPS feed from that GPS board, you could easily add it to a
>>> Linux PC (Raspberry Pi, for example) or even a Windows box and use that
>>> locally as your own stratum-1 server.

Yes, all three stratum-1 servers I run at home all have a PPS output
from GPS (either vanilla GPS receiver or GPSDO) which I feed to NTPD
via serial port DCD input.

>>> I never had much success with
>>> peering - it seemed that when one server had a higher offset for whatever
>>> reason it dragged the other with it.  I use multiple independent stratum-1
>>> servers - one a Linux X86, one a Raspberry Pi, and one LeoNTP box.

That's interesting you had experience with peering. My own experience
with it was pretty good, but in my case I did the work to set up
internal time sync for the cloud computing megacorp I worked for, and
thus I had the luxury of choosing among several hundred servers and I
picked the ones which had the lowest PPM drift.

I wonder if NTPD's peering algorithm runs into trouble if the clock
jitter between machines is too high -- hard to say without doing more
experimenting. My experience with peering was good but only lasted
about 6 months, as few months later we actually bought some
Symmetricom stratum-1 boxes to avoid external dependencies and certify
NIST traceability.

The obvious advantage of peering is that if you don't have your own
stratum-1 sources you can continue to serve time even if the internet
connection goes down. Of course these days it's so incredibly cheap --
not to mention fun -- to build your own stratum-1 server with cheap
GPS receiver with PPS output using either a Rasperry PI, a cheap old
X86 PC, or (as I do for 2 of my servers) a pcengines box.
Luckily both of us went down this route for our own NTPD servers :-)

Cheers !

-- Fio Cattaneo

Universal AC, can Entropy be reversed? -- "THERE IS AS YET
INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER."