[time-nuts] DC distribution

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 23 04:55:28 UTC 2019

On 10/22/19 7:58 PM, Scott McGrath wrote:
> 4 pin xlr is also standard for pro audio/video. So you might want to use the same pin configuration as the ‘standard’ so you can use the large variety of accessories available.
>
> Content by Scott
> Typos by Siri
>
> On Oct 22, 2019, at 7:42 PM, "nuts at lazygranch.com" <nuts at lazygranch.com> wrote:
>
> Glad I read all the replies since I was also going to suggest Canon
> connectors. I have used the 3 pin canon because they are easy to find
> and I am not going to plug a microphone into a power supply. The
> breakout box is unique enough to not get it confused with anything
> else. (Not suitable for the general public!!!)
>
> That said, the 4 pin canon is a good idea. It is a power supply
> standard. You can find cables online.
>
> Mine is designed for battery use. I put reverse biased diodes across
> the supply and use a fuse. I never hooked it up backwards but you never
> know.

4 pin is pin 1 is gnd, pin 4 is +12V
BTW there is a weird 4 pin configuration with 3 in a triangle and 1 pin
in the middle.  I've seen it in a catalog, but never in the wild.

The 5 pin XLR is used for DMX lighting controllers, so you want to
either be compatible pinout (i.e. not blow things up) or avoid it. Pin 1
is ground, don't recall how the rest is laid out, other than it's a pair

The 6 pin XLR is a bit unusual, and the pins are significantly smaller, too.