[time-nuts] Do ordinary clouds adversely affect GPS reception?

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 17:54:48 UTC 2019

I don't think clouds is the direct cause, but of course clouds in the sky
can be correlated with wet foliage.

Especially if the GPS Field Of View has a lot of angle taken up by tree
canopy, wet foliage can substantially degrade not just GPS reception but
other VHF and UHF signals.

I notice this the most in the fall when the leaves are large and mature and
are start losing their waxy coat, but have not yet fallen.

Even after all the leaves have fallen, wet branches have attenuation
ability as well.

Some research papers have connected windy conditions with UHF attenuation
especially deep fading as well (https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1337081
).

Tim N3QE