[time-nuts] Do ordinary clouds adversely affect GPS reception?

MLewis mlewis000 at rogers.com
Wed Oct 23 23:14:37 UTC 2019

uBlox M8T & antenna behind two panes of glass
skyview is a 170 degree sweep centred 30 degrees east of south

I regularly see attenuation with overcast clouds, but only with some
overcast clouds. It's not consistent enough to be able to say which types.
The attenuation can be as much as 10 dBc, sometimes more.

If all the sats suddenly show as way down, that's a sign to go outside
and look as it's usually tornado-friendly conditions. And if the wind
hasn't picked up yet, it soon will.

Often, the attenuation from overcast clouds is relieved once the rain
starts.
But rain can also make it worse.
Droplet size or rainfall density?

No consistency with snow either, except for the really thick snowfall,
which is usually, but not always, a wet snow.

Few trees in my view to show differences when they're wet vs. dry.

If the rain is being blown against the sides of the brick buildings low
to the horizon across from me, once they're soaked, I get multi-path:
- from the sats on the other side of my building, which are a little off
from 180 degrees opposite my view, from a range roughly 30 degrees wide
and between five to 35 degrees elevation; and,
- also from a few weak sats signals from just around the corners of my
building and just beyond the roof edge, usually within ten degrees
beyond the edges of my building.
The ground is almost always wet before the sides of those buildings are
soaked, but the hit of multi-path comes with those building sides
getting soaked.
Long & tall hedge across in front of most of those buildings. I've
always assumed it was reflecting off the buildings.

Michael