[time-nuts] Low cost data recording for FA2

Jim Harman j99harman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 16:45:42 UTC 2019

It appears that the switch just turns the power to the Openlog on and off.

Then when you apply power the Openlog will read the config.txt file on the
SD card to get its configuration info including the baud rate and the name
of the file to write the logging data to and start logging. No PC is
required to be connected and you move the SD card to a computer to read the
logged data. Data from the PC still goes to the FA2 to set its operating
modes if desired, and you can still see the data in real time on the PC.

Unless I am missing something, with this arrangement up to the last 512
characters of data will be lost if you switch off the power to the Openlog
or remove the SD card.

With more complex switching, 3PDT required I think, you could leave the
Openlog powered on and have two modes:
-- Logging mode as above where the FA2 sends data to the Openlog and the
PC, and the PC data goes to the FA2, to set its operating mode. The PC
would not need to be connected.
-- Openlog mode where the FA2 is ignored and the PC just talks to the
Openlog. In this mode, the PC can send commands to the Openlog to set it up
and could also read the logged data.

In either case this looks like a very clever and practicl solution.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 7:05 PM shouldbe q931 <shouldbeq931 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 2:04 PM ew via time-nuts
> <time-nuts at lists.febo.com> wrote:
> >
> > From Juerg Koegel
> >
> > 4$ Openlog
> > 6$ Micro SD Card
> > 1 hour work
>
> Presumably one has to stop logging to access the logged data ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Arne
>
> --

--Jim Harman