[time-nuts] The TAI zero epoch of 1958

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 24 23:51:53 UTC 2019

On 10/24/19 12:37 PM, Scott Stuart wrote:
> Hello!  I'm new to the list and I have a question about time systems.
>
> The context is that someone is going to be communicating timestamps to me
> in TAI formatted as the number of elapsed seconds since 1958 Jan 1
> 00:00:00.  To make sure that I understand how this is being calculated, I
> reviewed the history of the establishment of TAI and UTC in the late 60s
> and early 70s.  I understand why 1972 Jan 1 00:00:00 UTC == 1972 Jan 1
> 00:00:10 TAI and why TAI is now 37 seconds ahead of UTC.  I can also see
> that propagating backwards from the 1961 time conversion formulas to 1958
> Jan 1 gives TAI - UTC very close to 0 (within about 2 milliseconds).  So,
> it makes sense to use 1958 Jan 1 00:00:00 UTC == 1958 Jan 1 00:00:00 TAI as
> the 0 epoch for TAI in seconds.

  I'm going to guess that since UTC and TAI were roughly synced then,
that's the primary reason. There's some folks on the list who are time
scale historians, and they'll give you the real answer.

I suspect that 1 Jan 1958 was chosen because it was in the middle of the
International Geophysical Year (IGY) - perhaps the promulgators of TAI
did it as part of IGY?

I have heard that NASA uses 1 Jan 1958 as the basis of time scales
because there are no "in orbit" times before that (yeah, a bit of cold
war there, I think..) and NASA was created in 1958 (July), so it was
"the beginning of the year in which NASA was created)".

I don't necessarily believe the latter, though, because spacecraft have
been operated with "local spacecraft time" (mission elapsed time, in
some form) until very, very recently, and ground events are usually
reckoned in Central Time (for US Human flight, because that's where
Houston is) or GMT or UTC or TAI (depending on when...)