[time-nuts] Phase noise principle and measuring confusion

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Apr 8 01:05:27 UTC 2020

Hi

Phase is what drives an ADEV measurement ( frequency from phase ….). Phase noise the noise
at a specific offset from a carrier, often normalized to a 1 Hz bandwidth. Phase noise is a different
measure than “phase”. ( = they are not the same thing ).

Indeed a single mixer can be used as the heart of a measurement system for both quantities. You
do configure it differently depending on what you are after. Same basic hardware, different setups
to get different results.

If you are looking at phase noise you put the mixer in quadrature lock ( just like the HP 3048) and
use some sort of audio spectrum analyzer to figure out what the numbers are. You need a servo
amp to keep things in lock.

If you are after phase, you offset the oscillators and get an audio tone out of the mixer ( a beat
note …). The lower the tone frequency the greater the amplification ( and the more mixer noise
to deal with…..). For phase you need a low noise limiter to turn the audio into something your
counter can deal with.

Does it make sense to build both setups into the same box? Maybe it does. It depends a lot on
just how much that mixer hits your “playing around” budget.

Bob