[time-nuts] sub harmonic VCO locking

glen english LIST glenlist at cortexrf.com.au
Sat Aug 1 10:18:40 UTC 2020

Hi Attila

thanks for your input. and thanks for the links !

I'll meet my low-spec option using ADF4356 integer mode, and a 394 MHz
off the self $2 SAW filter on the output.

That is what I'll do for the moment. I have the ADF4356 here on a eval
board ADI lent me. It is not bad for an internal VCO chip. makes 126/
10k @ 400 megs.  Actually the Hittite HMC1033  is slightly better but 26
weeks..... Discrete VCO using a TriTech TEM resonator (Q=400 400 MHz)
was good also, with integer PLL chip. Maybe use a ceramic resonator up
at 1.6 GHz where there is more Q and the chips are designed for the 1-4
GHz VCO input (LTC6945 etc)

When I need to get the 5kHz  to 100kHz noise down, I'l probably go for
direct multiplication.

73