[time-nuts] Understanding the 5371A TIA

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Mon Aug 3 20:17:04 UTC 2020

Hi Walter,

On 2020-08-03 19:50, Walter Shawlee 2 wrote:
> I recently got a 5371A, and it's working to at least some degree, now
> I have to learn the interface
> and controls to really be sure.
>
> The thing I am having trouble with is that the main reference is just
> a regular 10811A OCXO.
> as a result, and measurements cannot be any better than that
> reference, such as allen variance
> and stability.  sine this seems to be a unit with high performance and
> expectations, am I correct in
> the belief that the internal 10811A will be the basic stability possible?
>
> I had hoped to actually use this to check other 10811/10544
> oscillators, but now I feel less confident
> that is actually possible.  any insight or best practices with this
> instrument is appreciated.

Whenever I use counters and I want to go for longer time-constants, I
use a GPS receiver as reference. For short term stability, the internal
10811A is for sure good enough.

I recommend you to dig up manuals, app-notes and HP Journal from 1989
that introduces the 5371A. They may all help to illustrate how to use
the instrument.

I've spent my time on the 5372A, but for many purposes, they are the same.

Cheers,
Magnus