[time-nuts] another source of time...

Mark Haun mark at hau.nz
Wed Aug 5 23:18:28 UTC 2020

I wonder if someone maintains a directory of ionosondes.  Seems like
waste/duplication to have every interested party set up their own,
instead of piggy-backing on what's already out there.  There's also the
pollution factor---one certainly hears them often enough while operating
narrowband on shortwave, and while not particularly intrusive, we don't
need more.

I've always wondered about the military VLF stations like NLK (Seattle,
WA) and NAA (Cutler, ME).  Their FSK modulation may not require extreme
frequency accuracy, but it's so easy, perhaps they do lock to GPS?  Of
course, the data themselves are encrypted so you wouldn't be able to
derive anything except a frequency reference.  The advantage would be
they are substantially more powerful than WWVB.  Does much VLF leak out
into space?

Mark