[time-nuts] eLORAN will be on the air GRI 99600

Forrest Christian (List Account) lists at packetflux.com
Fri Aug 7 01:38:26 UTC 2020

I probably need to clarify where I'm coming from in relation to my previous
message.

I have a fair bit of background in dealing with using GPS clock sources for
synchronization at communication sites.   Many of these sites are lucky to
have a rubidium oscillator in place for holdover, although some do (usually
the larger ones).  And we're talking about thousands and thousands and
thousands of these sites.

Where I was coming from is that at these sites, GPS can be a challenge -
it's in a narrow band, very low signal, and, at least from my worldview, it
seems like GPS interference is becoming more prevalent instead of less.
 As a result, whether terrestrial or via satellite, it would be nice to
have a second alternative in a different band where one could obtain a
reasonably aligned 1PPS (+-1uSish).

I'm hopeful that eLORAN will result in this result.   I'm also curious
about the GPS L5 signal once it becomes operational since that is far
enough away frequency wise that one would hope that it wouldn't be affected
by the same interference source.

- Forrest