[time-nuts] Satelles PNT from Iridium satellites

ew ewkehren at aol.com
Mon Aug 10 16:10:24 UTC 2020

I did attend those conferences, it was my first ex poser to Dual Mixer, NIST presented it for high precision frequency measurements. Still have copies of the proceedings.Time is and was key but I do not recall any papers addressing using GPS for time distribution as we know it today, and that is what I was responding to the question that I answered to. Also writing the proposals and attending all project reviews it was never covered. Bert Kehren   In a message dated 8/10/2020 10:48:12 AM Eastern Standard Time, kb8tq at n1k.org writes:
Hi

>From what I saw as the system was developed, the people doing it realized that timing
was at the core of the design. If there was a timing problem, nothing was going to work.
There were GPS (and before that other sat-nav) presentations at the Frequency Control
Symposium for many years. The “big boys” in timing all were involved in GPS one way
or the other.

NIST was doing time transfer work on GPS before the system was fully up and running.
Their results are (to a great degree) what got everybody believing  that GPS *could*
be a good source of time. Those papers started early and kept on flowing …. Until they
put their “stamp of approval” on the technique, I don’t think anybody was ready to call it
a super time source.

This is by no means to imply that NIST was the only outfit involved or that the others
who also evaluated GPS somehow did not contribute. That’s far from the case. The only
point is that NIST got out there early.

Bob